Register Account

Login Help


International Overview

Amateurs sometimes visit other countries and naturally want to operate their amateur stations. The three types of reciprocal operating authority are 1) a CEPT license; 2) an IARP; and 3) a reciprocal permit from a country which does not participate in either of these two multilateral agreements. Always follow all of the communications rules of the country visited. To operate under CEPT or IARP, the amateur must be a licensee in the country of citizenship.

Canada is the exception to the above. The US and Canada share an automatic reciprocal operating agreement. US amateurs must carry proof of their US citizenship and their valid US license. Identification for US amateurs is the US call separated by a stroke and the appropriate Canadian prefix identifier (e.g. N1KB/VE3). In all other instances, or as specified by the national licensing body, the prefix goes before the call sign. For further information on US/Canadian operation, visit the RAC Web site.

  • International Operating

    To operate in another country you need to have a permit. Here's how to obtain one. Learn More

  • International Advocacy

    Radio waves do not stop at the border. Amateur Radio needs a voice in international telecommunications forums. Learn More

  • WRC

    World Radiocommunication Conferences are held every few years to review and revise the international Radio Regulations. Learn More

  • ITU

    The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the UN agency for information and communication technology issues. Learn More


    The Inter-American Telecommunication Commission coordinates telecomm matters for the Organization of American States. Learn More

  • IARU

    The International Amateur Radio Union is the worldwide federation of national Amateur Radio organizations. Learn More


Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn